Be vigilant following recent thefts of cars in the Bridgend, Rhondda Cynon Taf and Merthyr areas.
South Wales Police are reminding residents to be vigilant following recent thefts of cars in the Bridgend, Rhondda Cynon Taf and Merthyr areas.
“To minimise the risk of falling victim, it is recommended that residents keep all keys out of view – ideally taking keys upstairs when going to bed – and away from windows, doors and catflaps.
“Thieves can use software to pick up the signal emitted by keyless entry systems to gain access to vehicles within minutes.
“It is recommended that you talk to your car dealer about further security measures relevant to your model.
For example, some keyless entry fobs can be turned off when not in use.
“Vehicle security experts recommend storing your electronic car keys in a metal-lined container to stop thieves picking up the signal.
“Other crime prevention tips:
• Park vehicles in their garage or on a driveway
• Park in areas that are well-lit and avoid areas which are obscured from any public view
• Never leave any personal items on show inside the vehicle
• Don’t leave evidence of valuables i.e. windscreen marks caused by sat navs
• Always ensure unattended vehicles are locked
• Be vigilant and report suspicious behaviour
“Anyone with any concerns can call us on 101 or 999 in an emergency.”