Work on historic building in Trecynon to aid its use as a community asset now complete
The Hen Dŷ Cwrdd Trecynon Project In 2024, Addoldai Cymru | Welsh Religious Buildings Trust received a grant from the National Lottery
Heritage Fund. The first part of the project, which coincided with the hosting of the National
Eisteddfod by RCT County Council in Pontypridd, commemorated former members of the chapel who
had played a prominent role in the promotion of Welsh culture, both locally and throughout Wales.
The second part of the project has entailed the installation of a WC and kitchenette inside the chapel,
so that it can now be more comfortably used by both visitors and community groups. The grant has
also funded improvements to the chapel burial ground and a new path now leads to the graves of two
of the most significant individuals buried there, namely former minister, Tomos Glyn Cothi and the
harpist Llewelyn Alaw. A special event has been organised to celebrate the completion of the work.
The date has been chosen so that it can be part of Cadw’s Open Doors event, which takes place
throughout September.
The Reopening Event: The event to mark the reopening of the chapel following the building work will be held on Saturday 5
September between 11.00 am and 3.00 pm. It will consist of a rolling programme, the details of which
will be:
11.00 am: Welcome, coffee, tea and cakes
11.30am: Dr Mihangel Morgan – ‘Coelbren y Beirdd – Iolo Morganwg’s Alphabet’
12.00 pm: Bethan Roberts – Llewelyn Alaw’s airs on the harp
1.00 pm: Lunch – sandwiches and snacks
1.45pm: Film – ‘The Eisteddfodwyr of yr Hen Dŷ Cwrdd’
2.30 pm: Dr Marion Loeffler, Cardiff University – ‘Under the Necessity of Employing in the Loom:
Tomos Glyn Cothi’s Aberdare Life’
Also: Exhibition of photographs and artefacts relating to the chapel and artwork by pupils of Ysgol
Gyfun Rhydywaun
The event will operate on a ‘drop in’ basis and will be free to attend. It will be supported by the South
East Wales Unitarian Society and Menter Iaith Rhondda Cynon Taf.
Both local AS and Joint Chair of the Senedd Culture, Communications, Welsh Language, Sport and
International Relations Committee, Lisbeth McLean AS, and leader of RCT County Council, Councillor
Ann Crimmings, have confirmed their attendance on the day.
Following the opening, the chapel will be available for hire for a small fee by local groups and societies.
Trust Chair, Natalie Lancaster, commented:
“…It is wonderful to see Hen Dŷ Cwrdd Trecynon reach this important new stage. The work has
not only improved the facilities, but has also helped us to bring to life the stories of the
remarkable people and communities connected with the building. We hope these improvements
will encourage more people to visit, discover the chapel’s fascinating history and enjoy this
very special place.”
The Trust wishes to thank the National Lottery Heritage Fund for their assistance with this project. The
renovation work has been carried out by Taliesin Conservation Ltd and the architect is Jonthan
Harwood of Penseiri Alwyn Jones Architects.

Commemorative mugs to mark the occasion
Addoldai Cymru | Welsh Religious Buildings Trust was established in 1999 following consultation
between the then Welsh Office and Cadw, in response to the accelerating closure of places of worship
in Wales – several of which were of architectural or historic significance. By 2026, the Trust has
acquired 11 religious buildings, of which 4 are Grade II listed, 6 are Grade II* and 1 is Grade I. Its remit
is to conserve these buildings as exemplars of this characteristic Welsh architecture, which played
such an influential part in creating the country’s spiritual, cultural and social identity. Once restored,
where possible, the Trust opens the buildings for use by their local communities.
Hen Dŷ Cwrdd is the oldest Nonconformist cause in the Cynon Valley, dating back to around 1650. A
meeting house was constructed on the site in 1751 and the current building dates from 1862. The
chapel, which belonged to the Unitarian denomination, closed in 1988 when the members merged
with Aberdare’s other Unitarian chapel at Highland Place. It was acquired by the Trust in 2005. For
further information on the chapel, please visit:
https://welshchapels.wales/hen-dy-cwrdd/
Main image: The view from the pulpit showing the work in progress, with the new kitchenette on the rear right and
the new WC cubicle on the rear left.
