One week left to extend Child Benefit claim for teenagers

One week left to extend Child Benefit claim for teenagers

Parents have one week after GCSE results day to tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
that their 16-year-old is continuing their education or training, to continue receiving Child

Teenagers will find out their GCSE results this week and many will be considering their
future and whether to stay on in education. Child Benefit payments stop on 31 August after a
child turns 16, but parents can extend their claim if their child is continuing in approved
education or training.

It is easy for parents to update their Child Benefit record. They can use the online service on
GOV.UK or the HMRC app to tell HMRC about their child’s plans.

HMRC recently wrote to parents about extending their Child Benefit claim. The letter
included a QR code which, when scanned, directs them to GOV.UK to update their claim
online. Any changes will be applied to their Child Benefit claim immediately.

Child Benefit will continue to be paid for children who are studying full time which can include:

 A levels or similar
 International Baccalaureate
 home education – if it started before their child turned 16 or after 16 if they have
special needs
 T levels
 NVQs, up to level 3
 traineeships in England

Child Benefit will also continue for children studying on one of these unpaid approved
training courses:

 in Wales: Foundation Apprenticeships, Traineeships or the Jobs Growth Wales+
 in Northern Ireland: PEACE IV Children and Young People 2.1, Training for Success
or Skills for Life and Work

Myrtle Lloyd, HMRC’s Director General for Customer Services, said:

“Child Benefit can provide financial support to families, so make sure you don’t miss out if
your teenager is still eligible. You can quickly and easily extend your claim online or via the
HMRC app, just search ‘Child Benefit when your child turns 16’ on GOV.UK.”
Parents will need a Government Gateway user ID and password to use HMRC’s online
services. They will need their National Insurance number or postcode and 2 forms of ID to
register on GOV.UK.

The UK Government is offering help for households. Check GOV.UK to find out about cost of
living support, including help with childcare costs. 

Notes to Editors

  1. More information on Child Benefit for 16-19 year olds
  2. Parents cannot claim Child Benefit if their child is taking a course that is part of a job
  3. Parents can view and manage their claim quickly and easily online or on the HMRC
    app. This includes viewing payment information and proof of their claim, adding
    additional children and updating their details – all without needing to call HMRC.
Spread the love
Team @ AberdareOnline

Team @ AberdareOnline

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *