South Wales Fire and Rescue Service supports Electrical Safety Week focussing on pet owners

Between 9th – 15th November, South Wales Fire and Rescue Service is supporting Electrical Safety Week, run by Electrical Safety First, an independent charity committed to reducing deaths and injuries caused by electricity in the home.

This year the campaign focuses on the UK as a nation of pet lovers, and uses the emotive pull of pets as a much loved part of the family to highlight the simple changes that we can make at home to avoid accidental electrical fires and the devastation that they can cause. The messages will encourage people not to attempt to go back in and rescue pets in a fire but to leave it to the Firefighters. 

46% of UK households have a pet with the country’s “pet population” standing at around 65 million!

By focusing on the emotional pull of a pet in danger, the campaign will share messages around easily avoidable “bad” electrical safety behaviours, including overloading sockets, leaving appliances running unattended, overcharging mobile phones etc.

Chief Fire Officer, Huw Jakeway, South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said;

“Electricity is often overlooked as a fire hazard, perhaps because there is no flame, but just because there is no flame, that doesn’t mean there is no risk – Never under-estimate the risk of fire from electricity.”

GM Dewi Jones, Head of Home Safety at South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said;

“South Wales Fire and Rescue Service urge everyone to take time to check that they are not overloading sockets and not using wind up extension leads without fully unwinding them because of the build up of heat.  Please take the time to check that your appliances around your home are fit for purpose. Current recall lists can be found atwww.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/product-recalls

Working smoke alarms save lives. For the protection of you and your family and your pets, make sure you have at least one smoke alarm on each floor of your home and that it is tested regularly.

In the event of any fire, NEVER attempt to deal with it yourself. Instead, get out, stay out and dial 999.



Spread the love
Team @ AberdareOnline

Team @ AberdareOnline

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *