Welsh Lib Dems launch LGBT+ manifesto
The Welsh Liberal Democrats have pledged to "deliver a Wales that works for you, regardless of your sexuality or gender" as they launch a range of policies for LGBT+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) people in Wales.
Click here to read the manifesto in full.
The policies include:
- Improving sex and relationships education, and embedding gender and sexuality awareness training in teacher training courses
- Establishing a Gender Identity Clinic in Wales
- Creating publically-funded LGBT+ safe housing
- Ensuring parity of esteem between mental and physical health in the NHS, as mental ill health disproportionately affects LGBT+ people
- Making PrEP (Pre-exposure prophylaxis) medication available to men who have sex with men and others at high risk of contracting HIV
- Extending the HPV vaccination programme to cover adolescent boys
The Welsh Lib Dems have a strong record of standing up for LGBT+ people in Wales. They led the first ever Assembly debate focusing on transgender issues in November 2014, persuading the Welsh Government to introduce a Transgender Action Plan earlier this year.
Speaking ahead of a visit to the Unity LGBT project in Swansea, Welsh Liberal Democrat Shadow Equalities Minister Peter Black said:
“The Welsh Liberal Democrats are the party that has consistently stood up for liberal values to ensure everyone is treated fairly.
"LGBT+ people in Wales still face unacceptably high levels of discrimination, both in accessing public services and in wider society, and despite hard work by Welsh Lib Dems and others the pace of change is too slow.
"We've listened to the experiences of LGBT+ people across Wales and put their views at the core of our vision for our nation: one in which every person has an equal opportunity to thrive.
"Welsh Lib Dems have the enthusiasm and ideas to vastly improve the lives of LGBT+ people. We will tirelessly work to deliver a Wales that works for you, regardless of your sexuality or gender."