Revised guidance on categorisation of defects
Our guidance on how we categorise vehicle defects in roadside checks and vehicle tests has been updated today.
This guide outlines the actions to take when roadworthiness defects are found during vehicle inspections.
It aims to promote consistency amongst DVSA and Authorised Constable examiners.
It is also useful for vehicle owners, operators and drivers for awareness of our standards.
The changes include:
- the introduction of tyre pressure measurement at the roadside for single fitment tyres
- engine malfunction indicator lamp defects and additional notes for emission control system faults
- extra notes for assessing lighting defects and number plates
- updates to indirect vision devices
- new defects for modified seatbelts.
The revision record (Appendix A of the manual) has also been updated, which identifies all the changes in this guide.
You can find the revised categorisation of defects document on GOV.UK