The Railway Station
The railway came to Abercynon in the mid 1800s. The original railway was the Taff Vale Railway. This came from Cardiff to Merthyr on 12th April 1841. There was a branch leading to Aberdare in 1846. This meant that there had to be two stations in the town. The T.V.R. was taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1924 and this later became British Rail. Today it is Valley Lines. Both passenger and coal trains pass through Abercynon. Note the Junction Pub named after the name of the first station - Aberdare Junction.